![]() | A Cracked Pot | ||
Monday, January 30, 2006Winter is Returning?After nearly a month of what I would call unusual weather conditions for Michigan, winter might be returning. I have mixed feelings. I don't like mild winters. They are damper and colder, more chilling to the bone, than a good hard winter with lots of snow on the ground. Plus a fresh coat of snow is prettier than mud & mud puddles. However, mild winters are good for the heating bills which have skyrocketed through the roof this year. I have cut back on groceries and car trips to keep up with heating the house, and that is with the thermostat 10 degrees lower than last year. I am thinking of buying a snowmobile suit to wear around in the house so we can have meat & toilet paper....just kidding! I know I'm in no different situation than anyone else who lives in a snow belt. Speaking of which, why haven't we had much snow this year? It came early, and left Christmas eve. Haven't had much since. I thought January was supposed to be the snowiest month of winter? We've had way more freezing rain, sleet and ice pellets than I remember in the last decade. It's all over everything tonight. I just went out, and could barely get our gate open because the latch is covered with frozen something-or-other. |