A Cracked Pot

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

My Tummy Talks to Me

No....I don't mean in the usual way of growling and other embarrasing noises in public.

I mean it talks to me in words. It tells me what it wants, and doesn't want.

Like today, it is insisting it wants Vernor's Ginger Ale and a chocolate Powerbar. This is the third day in a row it has been asking for this odd combination. Frankly it sounds like an upset tummy to me. The combination of ginger and chocolate not sounding good at all to my brain. But the stomach seems to over-rule the brain in most instances.

The stomach and the gall-bladder must be closely tied together. I guess they must talk together a lot about what comes into the tummy's front door. Because very often I'll be in a restaurant contemplating a nice gooey cheese something or other, or fried chicken, or some other wonderfully greasy gastronomical delight, and the stomach will say, "Attention, young lady. You mustn't indulge in that today as brother gall-bladder can't take it." Other days it's totally mum on the subject and I enjoy myself.

Most of the time I comply, because I know it's pointless not to. I mean tummy has never told me a lie! But sometimes the temptation of the ooey-gooey cheesey mess is just too much. And I always suffer.

So I suppose I should listen to tummy and indulge him in the Vernor's ginger ale and chocolate Powerbar. Perhaps today he's on good speaking terms with the brain and convince him it's a great combo.

Who knows? Maybe it was the brain's idea to begin with to give it more power!

[a side note for those of you not from Michigan: Vernor's Ginger Ale was the best flavored ginger pop in the whole wide world until the family sold it & it has since merged or been bought by many other companies. It started right here in Michigan, and as long as the family controlled it, I thought it was pretty good. Now it doesn't have quite the same zing, but it's still way better than Canada Dry--no offense to my Northern neighbors! If you're interested in reading about our nation's oldest soda and how James Vernor started it 130 years ago in Detroit,
go here. ]

Posted by acp :: 2:42 PM :: 0 Comments:

Post a Comment

— - — - — - — - / † \ - — - — - — - —