![]() | A Cracked Pot | ||
Sunday, February 19, 2006were our ancestors nicer?I got to thinking about that because a friend passed away. In the process of making plans for various things concerning all the services and stuff, different discussions came up about what was appropriate. I happen to believe death and that whole process is an honorable thing. I mean we should honor & remember our dead. This person was a really nice person. We all have our faults (some more than others!) but this person really was a nice person. Now I know death makes some people uncomfortable, but some of the things suggested, or to be skipped or postponed made me uncomfortable. It seemed disrespectful of this person's family and their grieving process. Which got me to wondering, did people back in the old days pay more attention to this stuff? I mean my Irish ancestors used to take days out for mourning. They had special keeners, long wakes. Now we're too busy to give up or plans to lend support or spend an hour or so with the grieving relatives? It probably doesn't mean our ancestors were necessarily nicer, or does it? When a society kills unborn babies, and refuses to respect the dead, I have to wonder where we are heading...... |