A Cracked Pot

Saturday, April 08, 2006

For Pet Lovers

Mostly this post came about because of Judy, and the loss of her canine grandkid Max, so soon after the loss of her beautiful canine kid, Niki.

But it is also for and about everyone who has ever loved a pet, and lost that pet.

If you've never experienced the warm lick of a puppy who is looking for his mother, finds you and bonds with you, or had a dog who was so devoted to you that nothing else mattered, not food, not playing--nothing could detract them from making you the center of their entire world...if you've not experienced that, then you'd better skip this post.

I have lost or had to choose to say good-bye to more pets than most of my friends. We had dogs when I was a kid. They weren't as integral a part of my life then as they are now. But I'm here to tell you that the pain of losing them is nothing to what they share so freely during their lives. What joy, what happiness they bring into our lives by their true devotion and adoration of us. They don't care that we've had a bad day. They don't care whether we pay much attention to them, altho they delight in it. They think we're cool when we're sweaty & been working out in the back yard!! They accept us, no matter what.

I've heard friends say they can't get another pet because it hurts too bad when they lose them. Well, it's all part of the checks & balances of life. Life hurts sometimes. We can't focus all on the negative. For every moment of sadness with each pet I've lost, I have months or years of happy times. Times when they were able to cheer me up when no one else could. They're my angels, my guardians, my playmates and yes, my kids.


So for all of you out there who loved and lost a pet, visit this page about
Rainbow Bridge. You may think you've heard the legend before, but this one explains more than any other I've seen.
angel hugging dog
Grab your tissue. If you don't need it by the time you finish the first story, you will by the third story... guaranteed. If not, check your heart. It must have turned to stone, because I can't see how anyone, pet owner or not, can't help but shed a tear over these explanations about the animals at Rainbow Bridge.

Animals' devotion to us far exceeds anything most humans could dream of. If you've lost a pet, and feel you can't possibly go thru all that again, think of the pets at the humane society who have no one--no one to love and care for them, shelter them, and give them a happy home. They have nothing to look forward to at the end of their day.

But if your life is full and happy without a pet, I respect that decision too. Not everyone is cut out to be a pet owner. I just know in our house, we will never be without a dog. It's too lonely and empty.

Posted by acp :: 3:06 PM :: 1 Comments:

Post a Comment

— - — - — - — - / † \ - — - — - — - —