A Cracked Pot

Sunday, April 23, 2006

I Can't Wait

Ever heard your kid (or someone else's kid) scream as they flounce out of the room, "I can't wait until I'm grown up and I can do whatever I want, without other people telling me what to do...."

How is it they get that impression? Wish we could bottle our experience/wisdom in that small area and infect them with it for a day.

Don't they realize adults have to obey more rules than their parents could dream up in a lifetime? There's laws to obey or pay consequences, there's rules in almost any group you join. Even if there aren't rules, there are expected guidelines which if you cross will cause you pain and grief, or just plain ostracizing.

"Without other people telling me what to do." Unless you grow up to be Billy G, I've got news for this kidlet: No matter what job you get, you're going to have to bow to a higher authority. Even he isn't exempt. Yes, he's his own boss, but people, agencies, the government, they're all after him to tell him what to do.

But back to why kids think grown-ups get to do whatever they want. Is it because they see us doing so many things they wish they could do? Stay up late. Drive a car. Not attend school. How do they miss out on all the other responsibilites we have? They seem to think money just flows out a faucet or grows on trees. They think they'll be able to buy whatever they want.

How have we given them this impression? Is it because we don't give them enough responsibility? Should we start them on an allowance earlier, and compare it to our salaries that we bring home for hard work? How do we teach them that they'll never be able to do what they want all the time? Or is that being harsh?

Here's what I think. If we teach them to obey God and tithe, and always yield to God's laws, we are teaching them a basic life principle. This will help them stay inside the law, be a good worker in the job force when they grow up, and contribue positively to society as a whole.

Posted by acp :: 3:20 PM :: 0 Comments:

Post a Comment

— - — - — - — - / † \ - — - — - — - —