![]() | A Cracked Pot | ||
Thursday, April 27, 2006Robin Blue EggsJudy is experiencing the Year of the Dog. And not a good year at that for her (as far as canines are concerned). I, however, am experiencing the Year of the Bird. Earlier this spring, Starlings, or some big black, very noisy birds, decided to take up residence in my mailbox. We had arrived home from someplace late, I walked to the front porch to gather my mail--in the dark, mind you, opened the lid, and was hit in the chest with this hurtling object. Scared the bajeezies out of me. It didn't seem to affect the bird much tho. I ripped out their nest, day after day after day. Finally when there was so much bird poop on the outside & inside of my mailbox, and they ripped up DH's Hewlett Packard catalog, I took the mailbox completely off the house, and sat a smaller completedly enclosed mailbox on the porch. I didn't know if the US Postal Service would go for it or not, but evidently they thought I was in a safe enough neighborhood they've continued to leave my mail in it for the past 3 weeks. Today I went out behind the shed where I left my rake to rake up grass left from yesterday's mowing. Again, I am dive bombed by a bird, but this time it is broad daylight, and I had NO idea where it came from until I glanced up where we hang our ladder on the back of the shed...you got it, another bird nest. ![]() I figure since the robin is sitting on eggs--and being such a good mama, I saw her turning the eggs, over & over this afternoon--that perhaps tonight it would be safe to reattach the bigger mailbox back on the house. I will let you know if the big black noisy birds are later egg layers than the robin... ![]() I will have you know to get this photo, DH had to climb up onto a chair (at our age, that is a big accomplishment!). He initially suggested I sit on his shoulders to take the picture, but #1, I am NOT a digital camera expert, I am not even a good user of such media. And #2, the days of me crawling up on his shoulders to sit were gone about two decades ago. We both would have ended up in ER. ![]() |