![]() | A Cracked Pot | ||
Monday, May 01, 2006Three (3) babies!Mrs. Robin wasn't on her nest when I went out into my backyard with the dogs this morning. I was worred something may have happened, so I took a peek. I was surprised to see 3 globs of beige/red with tufts of hair sticking out in front of these two bulbuous black round things. And one lonely blue egg. So the other three must have hatched not too much before I looked in there. I took off, so Mrs. Robin could come back & do her duty to keep the itsy bitty fledlings warm. They were really shivering. Poor things. They had no feathers at all except on the top of their heads, and by their tails. She returned as soon as I was on the other side of the yard. So I thought I try to take a picture of her sitting on the next. She looks rather uncomfortable. I took 13 telephoto pictures, and wouldn't you know it, not a one showed up on the memory stick. I keep telling everyone I suck at this digital camera business, and no one believes me! I did find a video on the Internet however, that looks pretty close to my little babies, except mine don't have this much hair. Baby Robin Video Mine weren't moving like that either. Just huddled very tight together, probably trying to get warm from each other. It was hard to tell which parts belonged to which bird. So we have three healthy little baby birds, and a late bloomer, I guess. At least I hope there's nothing wrong with the fourth egg. What do mama birds do if an egg doesn't hatch? Just push it out of the nest? Eventually it's gonna get broken when those birds start growing and hopping around in there, fighting each other for the worms. |