![]() | A Cracked Pot | ||
Monday, March 13, 2006Quickie recipe: Scalloped potato soup!Wanna hear about supper? Last week I made up this concoction in the crock pot. Turned out so good I tweaked it a little, and fixed it again today. Maybe you'll go, "euuwww!" But I liked it. A bag of southern frozen hash browns. You know, just diced potatos with no onion or pepper. Half in the bottom. Then half bag of diced onions. (told you I was lazy!) I sprinkle a little garlic over that, but you could skip it if you want. I also diced up portabella mushrooms in it this time--mostly because they were in the fridge all week, and they needed to be used up. Then I pour half can of cream of mushroom soup...ah, Ah, AH--No, NO. Not Campbell's! Wretched tasting stuff. This is the expensive nearly $3.00/can stuff: Progresso Creamy Mushroom. Very yummy. ![]() Then I layer everything all over again, then on the top I add diced ham. I guess you could used sliced ham too. But I prefer not to have to mess with cutting it! I'm all about shortcuts and time saving in the kitchen (that's so there's more time on the computer! *lol*). Let it simmer on low in the crock pot for about 3 hours. Keep an eye on it. If it gets dry, it's hard to get out. Very good stuff. Like scalloped potatoes and cream of potato soup kind of mixed together. Last week it turned out more like soup. I called it scalloped potato soup! This week it was a little drier. More potatos. Hmmmm....is the proper way to spell plural potato with or without an e? I know not....I just used both in this post. I might also add this recipe is for a very small crock pot. Generally only get 4 servings out of it. But that's OK. I get tired of stuff if we have too many meals of it. So if anyone out there tries it, let me know what you think. I guess it could easily be doubled for a larger pot. And you could go thru all the peeling, slicing & dicing of real stuff. If so, kudos to you. I'm not a kitchen slave! |