A Cracked Pot

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Road Less Traveled

Are you one of those people who uses the same route to church every Sunday? Or the same route to the grocery store every time you go shopping?

DH is one of those sorts. Drives me up the wall. I prefer to take a different route every time I go somewhere. Driving the same road is, well, B-O-R-I-N-G !

And it bothers him that I like to take different routes. In fact it appears to make him quite anxious. If I'm driving, and turn differently than he expects for where we are going, he grabs the armrests and exclaims in a loud voice, "Where are we going?" Mind you, this is always less than a block into my "different" route.

Even if I explain that we are still going to the Post Office, or wherever, his hands do not let loose of the armrests, and he seems slightly anxious until we arrive at our destination.

I've wondered what there is about a new route that is so anxiety-causing to him, and so exciting to me. I had to come to the conclusion it's simply the way God made us. It doesn't mean he's wrong, and I'm right. Or him right and me wrong. It just means we're different. And that's OK.

But in my musing, I was led to think about it from God's perspective and what He would teach us, and what paths He would lead us down.

How many times do you think He sits up there on His throne, and causes us to take a different route than we would have chosen. And watches us get all anxiety-stricken, and almost smiles in amusement. Because He knows the final destination, just like I know where we are heading when DH is grabbing the armrests & yelling in anxiety like he's on a roller coaster, "Where are we going?"

So next time your life takes an unexpected turn, don't moan about "why me?" Don't worry about the route you are taking. God is definitely still in control. Sit back in that seat and take in the scenery, knowing God has an ultimate lesson and destination in mind for you.

Posted by acp :: 5:59 PM :: 1 Comments:

Post a Comment

— - — - — - — - / † \ - — - — - — - —