![]() | A Cracked Pot | ||
Wednesday, May 03, 2006Fledglings' Day 3Mrs. Robin was nowhere to be seen when I came out this morning. I peeked in the nest, and all I could see were 3 huddling baby birds. I assume the 4th one was under the other three. They were shivering miserably. I felt bad for them. Evidently she had been gone a while. No doubt scrambling for worms. Which up until yesterday I should think would have been difficult considering the condition of our yard. Our ground has been hard & dry. But we had a nice gentle rain most of the evening last night, so hopefully meals come easier for her. I've heard Mr. Robin is supposed to be helping out in this area. However I have not seen a brighter breasted Robin hanging around. Do you suppose we have a single Mom!? I thought the little fledglings would be growing faster than they are too. Altho they have a little more tufts of feathers on their heads and tails, the rest of their bodies are still all skin and very puny. Quite ugly actually! Their wings are getting bigger tho, and they flop them around a little bit when I peer in their nest. I can finally see slits where their eyes are supposed to be, but they don't look like their eyes are going to open anytime soon. The bigger bulbous black area is shrinking...either that, or their heads are getting bigger. At any rate, they do look like they are balancing out. No open beaks like I expected with baby birds tho. I call my dogs baby birds when I get the treat box down off the refrigerator because they sit there with their mouths practically open. They've learned to catch, or eat out of my hand, or take it gently from my fingers. If I offer the treat to them between my fingers, they know they better just open their mouths, and not bite. That's when they look like baby birds, sitting there so prim & proper with their mouths open, waiting for the delicious treat! PS This is "the look" I get when I walk across my own backyard. Altho Mrs. Robin is a little more tolerant of me wandering around my backyard than she was earlier in the week, she still eyes me with these eagle eyes which say, "Don't come near me, and don't you dare touch my babies!"Yes, Ma'am! |