A Cracked Pot

Thursday, June 29, 2006

10 miles

I went 10 miles on my bicycle this morning. It was chilly & damp when I started out. I wore shorts, and about 6 blocks away, I was wishing I hadn't. I was shivering! I almost turned around, but I figured once I got going, the exercise would warm me up. Which it did.

I took the bicycle trail clear to the end. I saw ducks galore, some Canadian geese, the Blue Heron was sitting in the same place as before--still as a shadow. Couldn't believe he's still there. I've named him Burt!

I passed empty picnic tables next to a theater parking lot which was full of cars & people already heading into the theater. Why anyone would want to park themselves in a cold dark room & watch fake images when they could be outside in the fresh air watching real stuff on a day like today?

The high school football stadium was alive with activity. Why on earth are the football players practicing this early in the summer? I mean come on, it's still June. Then I passed two empty baseball diamonds.

From there on out, it's quiet. Only the trees and the birds, and the sound of the river where it runs a little harder or flows over rocks. It was really peaceful. And nice and cool under the trees. Today I didn't see any other animals, but I wasn't watching as closely as I was the last time I biked this section. I saw a racoon that day.

At the end of the path is a park. I sat for a few minutes, trying to get some energy back in my legs. And wishing real bad I had some water. I must figure out a way to carry water. Gotta visit Wal-Mart or Meijer and see what they got that can hook on the bike. I don't want a water bottle. I want my Dasani bottle--I'm very picky about my bottles!

There was a couple sitting at a picnic table eating Kentucky Fried Chicken. Boy, did that every look good! They had a huge bucket of it. And a UPS guy sitting in his brown truck eating lunch. I sat about 10 minutes at the top of a slide, just watching the world around me.

Then I climbed back on the bike to ride the 5 miles back home. Took me 10 minutes longer to go back then it did coming. Don't know if it's because my legs were tired, or because it's a little more uphill coming back towards home.

I'm not trying to do it in record time or anything. But I do want to see how much I improve over the summer. It's kinda fun, pedaling along using my own pedal power, no sound, no exhaust, no other cars or people around. I passed one other biker. That was it.

Oh no. I've just thought of something. What if Burt is a female?!!

Posted by acp :: 1:26 PM :: 1 Comments:

Post a Comment

— - — - — - — - / † \ - — - — - — - —