A Cracked Pot

Sunday, June 25, 2006

what a surprise

Today I got up early so I could get a short bike ride in before the temps warmed up. Down my street I went, beginning to feel like an old pro. And onto the bike path, down an even steeper hill which I am not so afraid now to let the bike go at it's own speed. Now up a slight incline, which I discovered if I let the bike coast and peddle just a little bit at the end of the hill, I can make it up this easier!

I coast down the next little hille, and under the bridge...wow, the previous days of rain has raised the river right to the very edge of the bike path. In fact probably the night before the water was over the sidewalk from the looks of the mud on the right hand side of it.

Now it's a steeper hill again to peddle up so I am going fairly slow as I come to the top of this area of the bike path, and wait a minute. What is this creature I see by the edge of the river. This is no Canadian goose. It is much taller and elegant. I stop before I scare it away and stare in amazement. It is a Blue Heron.

In my entire residency of Michigan (my entire life), I have never seen one in a populated area, let alone a town. Mostly around the Great Lakes. The most I've ever seen them was on the north of Lake Superior in Canada. It is gorgeous. And on my side of the river no less.

I rest against the bike and lean my elbows on the handlebars just watching him. He's not moving a whole lot, but isn't it weird how their knees bend backwards?!! He is such a pretty color.

My observances were interrupted however by another biker who flew by, probably not even noticing the marvelous bird. It startled him and he took off, lazily cruising across the river with such effortless flight. He only beat his wings once, and then just glided across and down a ways, where he landed in some shallower water.

Then he proceded to walk around there staring intently in the water. I do not know what he expected to see as the water is a dreadful murky brown from all the runoff of the rain. I waited and waited for him to catch something. He sure can hold still and stare when he wants to! But he never made an attempt to catch a fish.

I finally decided he would have to finish his breakfast hunt by himself as I had to get back home. But it was a wonderful way to start my Sunday morning.

Who knew trying to exercise and lose weight would hold such surprises?

Posted by acp :: 8:38 AM :: 1 Comments:

Post a Comment

— - — - — - — - / † \ - — - — - — - —