![]() | A Cracked Pot | ||
Thursday, May 04, 2006Fourth DayMrs. Robin evidently was busy out collecting worms when I came out this morning. Didn't see her fly away, didn't hear her clucking or chirping. So I had to take a quick peek at her babies. They have lots more tufts now. And their wings show distinct signs of bigger things to come. There are dark lines on the back of them now, like the beginnings of those hollow things that are the inside of feathers. I'm sure there's a name for them...I just don't know what that is. I puttered around in the yard, trying to stay on the far side from her nest, but she never returned. The poor fledglings were shivering a lot by the time I went into the house, so I came out a couple hours later just to make sure she was still around. She was! Sitting on her nest with her eagle eyes glued on me. They really have quite a stare. Their eyesight must be exceptional because I read on the Internet that when you see robins turning their heads when they're hopping around the yard, we assume they cocking their heads to hear. That isn't true. They actually see worms, not hear them. So they're probably very tied in to movement. Being the considerant grandma-ma (!) that I am, I turned over quite a few shovels full of soil in my little flower garden which isn't very far from her nest. I hope she appreciated my efforts! |