A Cracked Pot

Friday, May 05, 2006

Fledglings Day 5

Well, it was a crammed full busy day. I had tons of things to do before I was leaving mid-late afternoon for an engagement. I didn't get half done that I needed to.

But...I did manage to scare away Mrs. Robin, quite accidently--I was in a hurry and forgot about walking too close to the nest. Usually she doesn't mind if I wander by, if I don't move too fast, and don't move in her direction. She's much better about it now that she was last week. Guess she's getting used to me.

Anyhow, had to check the babies out since she was away, and today is the first day I've finally seen them with their heads held up & their little beaks open. Somehow I figured this would happen in the first few days. But perhaps she feeds them early in the morning, and they are happy & content by the time I've viewed them.

They sure aren't very strong yet. Only saw two hold their heads up, and very wobbley necks they have. And they couldn't hold their little heads up more than a couple of seconds before lopping over on their nest mates.

I gotta wonder about the fourth fledging. At least I assume it's the 4th one hatched. He/she is always at the bottom of the nest. Someties so buried by the other three, I am unsure if there really still is a fourth one. Guess a day's worth of growing by the first three is a big deal when you're only five days old!

Posted by acp :: 2:04 PM :: 0 Comments:

Post a Comment

— - — - — - — - / † \ - — - — - — - —