A Cracked Pot

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Saturday the Sixth

Today is Saturday. Which means everyone & their brother is out mowing their lawns. It is a terrible cacophony of whirring lawnmowers and high pitched weed whackers. It makes me want to leave (which I think I shall do momentarily), let alone poor Mrs. Robin.

When I came out around 9:30, she was eagle eyed on her nest with her eyes peeled on me. I veered to the far side of the yard so as not to disturb her. It still amazes me that she is not in the least bit frightened by the dogs right under her nest. I don't know if it's because she can't see them, or for some odd reason she doesn't think they're a threat (boy, is that dumb).

I did my usual puttering in the yard, cleaned up after the dogs, and returned to the house. About an hour later I came out, and she was no where in sight, nor did I hear her. I looked in the nest, and wonder of wonders, all I saw were BEAKS. Big huge beautiful yellow & reddish beaks. I swear those beaks are at least 4 times as wide as their little heads. They were all intermingled on top and betwixed (is that really a word??) each other.

Now their wings have not only black lines, but the precursor to those feather insides. They are poking out the back of their wings. It's the only thing that really makes them look like a bird...well, that and their mammouth beaks.

I played ball with the puppy for a while, and next thing I know, Mrs. Robin is doing her warning chirps up in the pine tree. I went clear to the back fence & sat down. She didn't return. So I came halfway back to the house, and she surprised & delighted me by landing on her nest & stuffing little pieces of something down two of her babies throats. Then she sat down on top of them, and that was that. Back to her eagle eyed stare.

I wonder how she keeps track of which ones she's fed, and which ones she hasn't?

Posted by acp :: 1:11 PM :: 1 Comments:

Post a Comment

— - — - — - — - / † \ - — - — - — - —